Jaunty Installfest

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Tue Feb 3 21:47:10 GMT 2009

Nick Ali wrote:
> I don't think one takes away from the other. We have done a few of the
> install fests, we know how it goes. It would be nice if we could do a
> better job of advertising the install fests.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Think it will be easy to get the word out for ALF.
>
> nick

As silly as it may seem, perhaps better defining our target audience for
the Installfests would make it easier to advertise.  Are we trying to
get people who have never used Linux before?  Probably.  How do we sell
it to them?  Why take a Saturday to come to some meeting and put Linux
on your computer?  (I have some thoughts on effective ways to sell Linux
to home users, but how to get the message out is another story.)  Are we
trying to get experienced Linux users to come together and discuss
Ubuntu and other aspects of Linux?  Probably as well, but that's a very
different set of selling points.

I think my point is that advertising is not just about letting people
know it exists, but about motivating them and providing a reason for coming.

David