Changing ownership on floppy

Eric Weir eeweir at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 2 20:17:43 BST 2008

I have some old files on floppies that I want to copy to my hard disk. I
am able to mount the drive only with sudo on the terminal. After it's
mounted, ownership is root. When I try to change that by sudoing chown,
I am told "Operation not permitted." I thought sudo gave you root
privileges. Is there a way around this Catch-22?

At the risk of ticking off people who otherwise might be inclined to
help, I have to say that this is one of the things that's really
irritating about Linux, and that is driving me away from it. I have been
patiently -- well, honestly, sometimes pretty *impatiently* -- trying to
understand it, assuming that eventually things that used to mystify
would become intuitive.

I guess some have. Probably many have, given where I started. But over a
year into this and I can't even use my own frigging floppy drive without
asking for help? [I checked a couple books I have. I went to
linuxcommand.org for help with the commands. I posted on another forum.
Two hours have passed. Now I'm trying you guys.] I'm *tired* of this.

If you can forgive the rant, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eeweir at bellsouth.net