How do I get ownership of my mailboxes.

Paul Boren pmboren at gmail.com
Thu May 1 19:42:53 BST 2008

Eric,

First, I am assuming that you use Kubuntu with the Dolphin file
manager.  This program is fairly new and may have some bugs.  I don't
know why there would be a root-owned folder in your home directory
though.

Here's my advice:
* Hold the Alt key down and hit F2.
* Type "kdesu dolphin" and hit Enter and this should give you admin privileges.
* Find and right-click on your mail folder for Thunderbird.
* Click on Permissions [Tab] and select the checkbox at the bottom to
"Apply changes to all subfolders and their contents."
* Change the ownership for User and Group to your username, eric.

See my previous post on how to automount a partition on another hard
drive.  Your back-up plan for your home directory sounds like a good
one because it will be on a separate device.  What you don't want is
to lose all your data due to any single failure.  Of course, any
back-up of personal data is better than none.

I hope this helps.

-- Paul Boren