Moving home folder, Gparted

Eric Weir eeweir at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 15 20:17:11 GMT 2008

On 3/15/08 paulderol wrote:
> i've found that gparted doesn't play nicely all the time. i reccomend
> using a gparted live cd to wipe the hard drive, just to eliminate any
> leftover windows permissions settings among other things. it comes
> attatched with clonezilla.

Thanks. I've located an article that explains clonezilla pretty clearly,
and a thread on the Ubuntu forums in which a guy used the
clonezilla/gparted combo to remove a Windows 98SE partition, clone a
Windows XP partition, create new partitions for Windows XP and Ubtuntu
7.10, and restore the Windows XP partition, after which he installed Ubuntu.

Relatively clear, though the fact that there is *no* documentation for
clonezilla makes me, a non-techie, a bit uneasy. In addition, moving my
/home folder to another drive is a stop-gap for me till I overcome my
frugal hesitancy about buying a new Ubtuntu machine. [Actually, it will
be a Kubuntu machine.

For that reason I think I'll try what Brian recommended. His directions
are much simpler and clearer than what I read about Clonezilla.

Thanks though,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eeweir at bellsouth.net