What kind of graphics card?

Eric Weir eeweir at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 2 00:25:15 BST 2008

On 6/1/2008 Brian Pitts wrote:

>  Can you point to the forumthreads that explain the other things you
>  have tried? Is there somewhere you've posted details about your
>  running system? E.G. the output of "uptime", "free", and "dmesg" when
>  you experience the lag, x's log file, etc.

Thanks, Brian. Not on a forum. A couple of guys spent a couple hours
trying to diagnose the problem for me at the last installfest. The only
thing they checked that I understood was use of the processor. There is
one application I use regularly -- DOSbox -- that takes 25-30 % of the
processor's capacity.

I don't know what else they checked, but they didn't identify any
problems. They suggested this -- an update of the graphics processing --
and additional memory. I tried the latter temporarily, but since it
didn't make any difference I didn't want to make the investment.

Are those commands you enter into the terminal?

>  IF you need a video card, I have two recommendations. Go with an ATI
>  card for better free software drivers, and get one with at least a
>  128-bit memory interface.
>
>  If you need an AGP card, you can probably find one card from the R200
>  or R300 series for cheap. These are great because the open-source
>  drivers are mature and support 3D. Model numbers are 8500 - 9250 for
>  R200, and 9500 - 9800, X300 - X600, X1050 for R300. For example, here
>  [0] is a fanless Radeon X1050 with 256MB of memory and D-SUB/DVI/HDTV
>  out for $36 (no rebates).
>
>  If you need a cheap PCI-E card, I think one on the mid-range R500
>  series is a good choice. For example, here [1] is a fanless Radeon
>  X1550 with 512MB of memory and D-SUB/DVI/HDTV out for $32 ($47 before
>  rebate).

I take there's a distinction between video and AGP. What is it?

Perhaps I should say that my use is not graphics intensive -- writing,
simple spreadsheets, email, surfing the web. No gaming, music -- other
than online radio -- or movies.

I'm curious about theATI recommendation. Others have said to avoid it.

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eeweir at bellsouth.net