Cold feet

Eric Weir eeweir at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 12 16:10:27 GMT 2008

I've had Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed on a desktop since August. The
Ubuntu machine is networked with a Windows machine, but I use the former
almost exclusively. Except for three applications, a simple Windows
personal finance manager [AceMoney], a free-form database [InfoSelect]
and an old DOS program that I can't imagine being without [MaxThink],
all my software is open source -- e.g., Firefox, Thunderbird, and
OpenOffice. MaxThink runs not perfectly but well-enough in DOSbox on the
Ubuntu machine. Likewise with InfoSelect in Wine. AceMoney runs in Wine,
too, but I haven't been able to get it work for me. Yet. But I will, and
when I do it will be goodbye Windows.

Recently I bought a used IBM X40 ultralight laptop with the intention of
installing Kubuntu 7.10 on it. I've scoped the machine out on ThinkWiki,
a wonderfully helpful website for people who run Linux on ThinkPads.
 From everything I've read, the installation goes through smoothly and
with a few minor exceptions Ubuntu/Kubuntu handles the special features
of the X40 without a hitch. I've registered the machine -- it's still in
warranty -- and upgraded all the firmware. I'm ready to install Kubuntu
but I find myself with cold feet about going ahead.

I think the reason is that for all my commitment to, and satisfaction
with, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, I'm a bit disappointed in my installation. Two
things in particular bother me, the graphics and the speed. The display
is not very crisp, no where near as crisp as it under Windows on a
different machine is, using the same monitor. The graphics processor on
both machines is on the motherboard, and I was told at the last
Installfest that the Linux probably needs a new graphics processor. And
then the machine is excruciatingly slow. The problem first appeared in
Thunderbird, where it is literally seconds -- I can count them --
between a command and the execution of the command.

I did everything I could to remedy the problem with Thunderbird, from
compacting the folders to a complete reinstall carrying over only the
old folders, without any improvement. Subsequently the entire system has
become much slower. EVERYTHING -- Firefox, OpenOffice, Konqueror, etc.
-- has gotten VERY slow. E.g., when I am typing in MaxThink I can get
way ahead of the display, especially as a file gets larger. I've seen
what Ubuntu looks like and how it runs on other machines, and I know my
experience is not typical. But now that I'm ready to install Kubuntu --
what I bought the machine for -- I am hesitant about going ahead.

I guess I'm afraid that the laptop is going to end up like my desktop
installation. I'm also mildly worried about getting bogged down in
getting things to work properly after the installation, which is what
happened to me after installing on the desktop. I got real bogged down,
and pretty far behind in my real work, trying to get the Ubuntu and
Windows machines networked through Samba. I finally threw in the towel
and paid a super-techie friend to do it for me.

So, long-winded way of saying I'd appreciate any words encouragement and
reassurance anyone might be able to offer, especially any of you who
have Ubuntu on a ThinkPad, and even more especially anyone who has it on
an X40.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA