Installing applications from outside the repositories

Eric Weir eeweir at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 10 16:54:04 GMT 2008

I posted this query on the Ubuntu forums over a week ago and still
haven't gotten a response, so I thought I'd give it a try here.

Recently I installed an "notetaking" application -- Zim -- from the
repository. I think it's going to meet my needs, but the version I have
is significantly out of date and the most recent version has significant
additional features.

I started an install of the most recent version for Ubuntu from the
developer's website, but aborted, [1] because it's described as being
for Gutsy and I'm still running Feisty, and [2] because as the required
perl library packages were about to be installed I got a message saying
that older versions were available from the repositories and
recommending that I install them.

So my questions. Can I do any harm by installing the Gutsy version of
the app on my Feisty system? Likewise regarding the unsupported libraries?

Thanks much in advance.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA