Changes to the LoCo organization. Georgia LoCo Council

Nick Ali nali at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 1 03:44:37 BST 2007

Money is a tough topic. Recently there have been lots of discussions
on various mailings lists and IRC about trying to form non-profits. If
you want to look at some of what has been talked about, see this
thread: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2007-September/001537.html.

It basically comes down to: yes, LoCos need money for marketing and
various expenses, but the bureaucracy and hassles created by becoming
a non-profit isn't worth it. There is also the question of whether a
LoCo could get non-profit status since it is very narrowly focused.

We don't have complete free reign on what we can do. As far as Ubuntu
policy, Ubuntu is a trademark of Canonical:
http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy.

The community is free to use the trademark as long as its to support
Ubuntu, with some exceptions like logos, merchandising, and domains.
If we use the Ubuntu logo (like we did for the Georgia logo), the
Ubuntu logo has to be appear completely unaltered in its approved
colors. I've seen plenty of shirts being sold on sites like cafepress
and lots of domain names with ubuntu in them which have not been
sanctioned at all by Canonical, but nobody has griped about them
either. Honestly, I don't think its an issue as long we don't do
anything to make the Ubuntu community look bad.

The idea of bringing our Ubuntu customized machines to the install
fest is a good one. It will give non-Ubuntu users a chance to see what
is possible.

Getting t-shirts and hats would be a great idea, especially if we can
get some gear for the install fest. If anyone would like to take this
on, it would be great. We have bought lots of Ubuntu case badges that
we plan on selling and giving away:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MassachusettsTeam/Projects/AluminiumCaseBadges

nick

http://boredandblogging.com