Ip address and subnet mask!

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Dec 18 07:48:02 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 10:53 -0500, Maada Moseray wrote:
>  I am trying to install postgresql and I have the following
> instructions (in red)
>
> # Connections for all PCs on the subnet
> #
> # TYPE DATABASE USER IP-ADDRESS IP-MASK METHOD
> host    all         all         [ip address]          [subnet mask]
> md5
>
> Which of the values below refers to the IP address and subnet mask.
> Do I use info from "net lookup" of from eth0, or from lo

IP address usually refers to your public IP address; the one that is
available on your network.  In your case, your IP is 192.168.0.15, and
your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

You will want to read the PostgreSQL manual that I linked to earlier.
Also, if you are running the server to be access via a network link,
then you can worry about setting up this file; if you are going to be
using it with the application on the same machine, the default
configuration should suffice.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us