[ubuntu-florida] Florida Team Contact Information

Chris Crisafulli itnet7 at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 14 14:16:37 BST 2010

First off, Thanks Casey for your comments! This program hasn't really
been available for us to take advantage of for too long. There is one
slight problem with donating them to a local library... Which one? What
I have done in the past with the other two books I had received as part
of this program, was used them as give-aways at an event at our teams
booth, this was after having them for nearly six months and no real
requests to borrow from anyone.

Dan, The check out event would be cool, it could work for other things
like our team banner, etc.

Mike, As I mentioned above, there really wasn't a demand for the initial
books, so we gave them away at our booth at FLS (If memory serves me...)

Here are a couple ideas (unless anyone else has any others to offer)...

We can do a web-based contest, pick a number style, and the one/two
winner(s) can donate it to their librar(y/ies), or we can another
contest of of http://www.ubuntu-fl.org which could potentially lead to
us beginning to use our website more often, and get more up to date
content posted there!

It's not that I don't think that passing around the books to our LoCo
idea is bad... I will gladly give the books over to whoever would like
to take ownership of them, and wants to track their whereabouts, and if
they get damaged in shipping replace them, etc. I just think it would be
good to have some fun with them, and give them to someone that is really
going to need/use them.

I have bought the desktop guide for my family as I plan on helping my
daughter learn the ins and outs of Ubuntu. My wife saw it, and has asked
me to purchase her a copy so that she can use it like she would at
school, and highlight things, write in them, etc. So they are really
excited about this edition.

I know that budgets are tight right now (Believe you me!) but the books
are really inexpensive at Barnes and Noble, and on-line retailers. If we
want good books like these to continue getting published more often, and
carried by the Major Stores, I would encourage you to pick up a copy of
either (or both if you can:-)). My local Barnes and Noble has ran out
twice, because I have been recommending others go and purchase them at
the Meet-up Group and Linux Sig that I host.

http://tinyurl.com/lucid-serverguide $26 on amazon
http://tinyurl.com/lucid-desktopguide $23 on amazon

If you do have a little extra money, and are looking for a good way to
contribute, You could always purchase one of each for your Counties
Library. I am not sure if all of the County libraries work the same, but
in Brevard County you are able to put a hold on a book and pick it up at
the library closest to you. If your's is similar this would allow for
many people to have access to the books. Definitely a win.

Thanks for responding, let's keep the dialogue rolling. These are just
an idea or two, any other feedback?

Chris