[ubuntu-florida] Podcasting

Mike Feravolo gnewsense at earthlink.net
Wed May 6 14:15:34 BST 2009

Hello All:

I was sitting in on the meeting last night, and didn't want to break the
flow of your ideas. Of all the things suggested I think that podcast is
the most realistic project for members of the group.

If your objective is to reach people that are not already using Linux or
Ubuntu and convert them you are going to have to do something that they
going to want to watch. I am not going to get into what they aren't
going to watch, since there are many examples out there right now of that.

Forget Audio clips because the Internet is a visual medium and nobody
wants to hear someone's jive about some computer software and writing a
radio jingle for Linux might get a few laughs, but isn't going to get
any Windows user switch to use Linux.

If you want to get anyone to watch the video on Linux, you are going to
have to look at how news is presented on television. Which why there is
an old saying broadcasting "You have a face for radio". If you have been
around Orlando and heard about Shannon Burke and seen what he looks like
on the news story about him shooting his wife and dog. You will see a
fine example of that.

So you are going to need someone that looks like a T.V anchor for the
podcast or it's going nowhere fast. Unless you look at another fine
example of marketing the "e-insurance" cartoon. They use the girl with
pink hair to tell you about insurance, during an adventure sequence that
is right out of the silent movie era and 1930's - 1950's cartoons.

I like the cartoon idea if anyone (not me) in our group has the skills
and the equipment to make it fly.

Peace

Mike Feravolo