[ubuntu-florida] who's using Edubuntu?

Matthew L. Avizinis mla at gleim.com
Mon Nov 5 20:42:15 GMT 2007

Well, folks I lost out to Apple.  But then I had to overcome a large
hurdle -- an entrenched Apple fan.

Here's the core of their reasoning:
"I must say that the computer system put together from Apple for our
needs seems to please us the most.  The technology is compatible with
the computers the children will be using in middle school - a "must" in
preparing them for the future.  It is also compatible with the array of
software we already possess.  The few schools that have used Linux that
are comparable [to our school] have not had success and no longer use
it. Reasons for not using Linux usually cited are the limited software
library and that navigating the system is too complicated for their
users.  I'm sure the Linux system's offerings will be expanded in time -
I love the concept.  However, at this time, the system and software are
limited."

On the one hand I can't fault them for going with what they know and
used in the past.  On the other, I am sorry they have to pay such a high
premium for that choice.

Personally, I don't buy it that the OS is "limited" in any way.

I'll be looking into this further.  As a software developer I might be
able to help reduce the "limited software" gap.

See you folks around....
Matthew