My first post to our groups mailing list

Christopher Rohde christopher.rohde at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 17:20:53 GMT 2007

As far as meeting up goes, it is rather difficult being spread out so far,
its true. But the LoCo team (and Jono, specifically) sort of "forbids" for a
lack of better term, smaller teams than state-level except in incredibly
large situations (ie Ubuntu-Chicago). Once the teams are large enough and
established, they do welcome sub-teams within the greater state level teams
as a way to promote actual meeting and cooperation in smaller sectors.
IRC should really be enough, for the most part, unless we were to organize
some sort of event in which case we'd have to meet up.

BTW is anyone able to contact some local LUGs near them? I am having a
helluva time getting in touch with LUG mailers, so would appreciate the help
getting the word out about the team.

On 3/12/07, Mark Sisley <msisley at ufl.edu> wrote:

> Urg at reply going to you (Chris) and not the list :)
> ---
> Ah, you were one of the smart ones :) I went to Palmetto High
> School, but wish I had had the opportunity to go to Pine View.
>
> I would agree completely with the idea in that respect. I wasn't
> meaning to attack Mike's idea in any way, just to say that we
> shouldn't oversimplify things too much. However, I could be
> partially wrong. I know that Ubuntu is really trying to make
> things easier for people to switch from windows with 7.04. Ff we
> market it as completely risk free though, then that certainly
> could cause problems when all hell breaks lose.
>
> On another note, it really is limiting that each of us is so
> spread apart as it is right now. I wonder how other successful
> LoCo groups work with that limitation. It really is difficult to
> coordinate a dlocalize meeting place (other than IRC) with an
> organization that spans the entire state...What does everybody
> have in mind for branching out past IRC?
>
> Mark
>

> On Mon Mar 12 11:30:54 EDT 2007, Christopher Rohde
> <christopher.rohde at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I dont know... in the spirit of the Great Compromise (hooray for
> > american
> > history classes rearing their heads) I think that both of you are
> > on the
> > right track re: edubuntu. While I agree with Mark in most
> > respects here, I
> > don't think Mike is trying to trick anyone or misrepresent what
> > we are
> > advocating. If we were to market edubuntu in the way that Mike is
> > recommending, why not recommend it in the same way we would to
> > friends and
> > family? ie "Listen, I know this is a change, and new challenges
> > will present
> > themselves, but you have X number of resources out there, not the
> > least of
> > which is the Ubuntu Florida team" and so forth. let them know
> > about the
> > advantages of ubuntu not only in educational software, but in
> > parental
> > control and the inability to install/remove w/o the root
> > password, etc.
> > I think this is definitely an avenue worth pursuing, and maybe if
> > we could
> > meet up in IRC one night and talk it out, we may have come up
> > with a short
> > list of goals to set for ourselves on the wiki finally ;)
> > Speaking of Parental Controls, Lando is working on something
> > interesting in
> > that regard too, and I think it would be a nice way to dive in if
> > he were to
> > need any help.
> >
> > What school did you go to Mark? I went to Pine View in Sarasota
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > On 3/12/07, Mark Sisley <msisley at ufl.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello all :)
> >>
> >> My name is Mark Sisley and I just joined the list. I'm from
> [...]

Christopher Rohde
taxnation.wordpress.com
veritastic.wordpress.com
     w:   863-686-8900