[DC LoCo] recommendations for cheap laptop for kids?

Jason Blum jason.blum at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 12:41:09 UTC 2014

My parents want to buy my two 11yo kids their own laptops for their
birthday.  They already have older, clunkier machines, running Ubuntu of
course - But I guess why turn down an offer of new laptops, right?

I hate to pay the "Windows tax," but don't want to point my parents towards
anything over $400, so was thinking about a pair of these bestsellers on
Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4MEK6E/

Haven't had any issues with Ubuntu on Dell in the past - they're usually on
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/.

Wondering if anybody would recommend something else in this price range?
 Acer?  Fujitsu?  HP?  Aside from Minecraft, these aren't for gaming - just
something suitable for kids learning programming, word processing, etc.

Thanks

-Jason

P.S. http://CoderDojoDC.com is back alternate Sunday afternoons, if
anyone's in the Silver Spring area.