[DC LoCo] Ubuntu novice hoping to start up kids club in local school

jerry w jerrywone at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 12:52:06 UTC 2012

I guess some of the models to consider are:

OLPCLearningClub.org

and the
Scratch Days
RobotFest.com events

While not specific to Ubuntu (Sugar is on Fedora,
though some have tried porting it, with limited success),
though there is cross membership and leadership,
One Laptop Per Child is a kids computer (the famed
$100 goal price computer) on the 2 million
machines out there level, mostly internationally.

Scratch and OLPC are MIT Based or originated,
and RobotFest is a local event that became a
Mini Maker Faire over the years.

There is also the Science and Engineering Festival
and FIRST Robotics, along with RobotFest
which are rather military based, If You Ask Me,
as in fund kid stuff to develop for defense contractors,
though the applications are not limited to that...

YMMV
(the views expressed don't necessarily align
with the organizations described)

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 6:26 AM, Jason Blum <jason.blum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just made the switch to Ubuntu from a Mac and loving it.  I've been a
> ColdFusion programmer for the last ten years (don't laugh) but also switched
> recently to Python.
>
> I also have four kids, the oldest two (9) I am keen on getting comfortable
> with Linux (thru EduBuntu I guess?), Scratch, Python, or at least
> touch-typing, etc.  I'm thinking about partnering up with other parents
> perhaps to start up a bi-monthly computer club in their school.  With one
> daughter, I'd especially like to aim for half the club members to be girls.
> I've already emailed our local PTA list and heard back at least a dozen
> parents who wanted their kids to join, but were unable to bring any
> technical expertise.
>
> Anyway just touching base and wondering if you have any recommendations on
> resources or other folks who might like to team up.  I've clicked around
> your site and meeting minutes and found http://spreadubuntu.org/ and the DC
> Mini Maker Unfaire.
>
> I think my main concern is how to advise parents on an inexpensive laptop to
> throw Ubuntu on.  I'm a little spoiled with a System76 and have only tried
> installing it myself on an old HP laptop, where I've only run up against one
> issue after another.  I don't feel qualified to support a club of parents
> and kids who have presumably even less experience...
>
> I guess one thought for promoting Ubuntu in schools, might be for you more
> experienced folks to mentor a parent like myself through an install party or
> a couple meetings until the club gets rolling, after which the parent can
> take over, and report back to your group regularly?
>
> Oh my school btw is the new
> http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools/singeres/ in Silver Spring.
>
> Anyway greetings and just wanted to say hello.
>
> -Jason Blum
> Silver Spring, MD

Jerry W