[DC LoCo] This Tiny PC Runs Linux and Android 4.0--and Costs Just $74 | PCWorld

jerry w jerrywone at gmail.com
Sun May 20 23:48:07 UTC 2012

One of the links says not taking orders,
but preorders, next shipment estimate
June 15th or so, so they are not all there, yet,
IMO.

Other links said something about potential
Patent problems with USB key computers and NVIDIA...

But demand is probably contributed from lack of availability
with others like RPi, OLPC, etc...

Price range $200 ... $75... - $35 (+ $15 shipping)
Cotton Candy, Others, RPi

Thanks for the heads up on the spectrum of similar devices.

All but RPi's Composite (so far rather unreadable to me)
requiring HDMI which I have yet to get.
Some have Bluetooth
(good for wireless keyboards, etc).
I'm interested/concerned on powering them
some said 5V 2 Amp, RPi is 1 Amp
MicroUSB type connector, IIRC...

Some are SD (RPi requires SD won't do MicroSD, it says)
others are MicroSD storage which would be handy, IMO.

But I'm tired, so probably not writing clearly,
and not wanting a flame fest on this...

ARM distros seem to be in their infancy too,
IMO... FC14 went off the RPi website
download page, not sure why, though FC16-17
is current for other architectures..

Not sure what BIOS/ Grub/ bootloader they are using,
IF AT ALL,
the UEFI talk listed on DCLUG.tux.org site was discouraging,
to say the least...

Low power ARM and merging/ fusion with smart phones
is interesting trend... A low power touchscreen component
for your own handheld like devices (+LiPo) would a burgeoning
area for hardware hackers, IMO...

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> A new entrant in the "how many microprocessors can dance on the head of a
>> pin" competition:
>>

>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/255837/this_tiny_pc_runs_linux_and_android_40and_costs_just_74.html
>

> There are so many companies releasing these ARM MiniPCs now. There must be a
> demand for them for so many to be coming to market. This is a good thing.
>
> --
> Michael "TheZorch" Haney
> https://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/
>
> "Those who are angry in their religion do not live it."
> --Abraham-Hicks
>
> Break some Windows, bring freedom to your PC. www.ubuntu.com

Jerry W