[DC LoCo] What's happ'nin'?

Luke W. Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Sun May 20 21:27:02 UTC 2012

On 20 May 2012 10:28, Robert Simmons <rsimmons0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Their sponsorship is historical from when Sun ran the commercial
> portion of the OpenOffice.org project. Now that they have given the
> source code to the Apache foundation and divorced themselves from the
> official portions of the project, chances are that you will not see
> Oracle as a sponsor next time around.

Oracle spun off OO.o in April 2011. I'm pretty sure they had time to make
up their mind about whether to continue sponsoring the event. As was said
during the spinoff<http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2044285/oracle-hands-office-community#>,
Oracle has stated that they want to continue to support open document
formats.

Google is the one that is confusing. Google Docs are hardly open or free.

I think they're going for http://www.dataliberation.org/

Specifically, http://google.com/takeout/ allows you to export all your
Google Docs to an open data format en-mass.

(disclaimer: these thoughts are my own, and not those of my current or
soon-to-be employers)
--

Luke Faraone;; Debian & Ubuntu Developer; Sugar Labs, Systems
lfaraone on irc.[freenode,oftc].net -- http://luke.faraone.cc