[DC LoCo] What's happ'nin'?

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Fri May 18 16:09:46 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> It looks like the Software Freedom Day folks have also declared
> tomorrow to be Culture Freedom Day, but this is the first I've heard
> of either the Scratch Day or the Culture Freedom Day.

Jeff Elkner, Mike Lee and I have done the Scratch Day for the past few
years across the river. But I'm not sure if I want to haul my butt to
Arlington tomorrow. This year there are several in the DC area, and I'm
inclined to throw my support in with a more fledgling effort.

> Another new one is Document Freedom Day, which was March 28. Is there
> some master calendar some where with these special days listed?
> They're pretty useful for marketing education outreach opportunities,
> but I need a bit more notice! :)

Public Knowledge (http://www.publicknowledge.org/) has been involved with
Document Freedom Day and World Fair Use Day (http://worldsfairuseday.org/)
for a couple of years now.  I think. I know they do WFUD, but I'm not as
certain about DFD, though I think that's how I first learned of it.  As for
Culture Freedom Day, there was the Free Culture X (
http://conf11.freeculture.org/ and http://freeculture.org/) conference in
DC a couple of years ago as well, which also had a lot of input from Public
Knowledge.

And, relatively recently, I made it into the Rayburn House Office Building
for the first time: Public Knowledge was the agency that organized the Open
Hardware DC (http://ohdc.eventbrite.com/) event there.