[DC LoCo] What's happ'nin'?

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Fri May 18 14:32:51 UTC 2012

Hi all,

We've got a bit of new blood lately.  So, newcomers, don't be shy.

Still waiting for a wee bit o' feedback from those of you who were so
enthusiastic about our reapproval. I know Keith's a bit busy presenting in
Europe, but once he's back, I expect he'll have a thing or three to say.

For my part, I've got to get my butt in gear and send a check for the
Takoma Park Folk Festival (http://tpff.org/) / Software Freedom Day (
http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/) table. They split the registration this
year: In previous years I'd print the registration and send it with the
check. Now registration is on-line with no electronic payment option, which
means it's easy to register while forgetting to send the check. ;-)

Around the area several groups are doing a Scratch Day event tomorrow (
http://day.scratch.mit.edu/). I'm hoping to end up at one of them. ;-)

The Broadband Bridge Project (http://www.broadbandbridge.org/) keeps
talking about setting up a Free Geek chapter to refurbish computers and put
Ubuntu on them. See http://www.freegeek.org/ and
http://wiki.freegeek.org/index.php/Free_Geek_Startups (plus the current
list of Free Geek "chapters" on the main wiki page
http://wiki.freegeek.org/index.php/Main_Page).  Broadband Bridge just
announced the schedule for the June "Build a Mesh Network" classes.  No
fixed date for their next DISCOvering TECHnology (Disco Tech) Fair, but I'm
planning to bring CDs for it.

I haven't heard back on the MLK Library "Geek Meetups".  (Well, actually,
I've heard back from the organizer saying "Hey, great! I'm traveling. Talk
to you VERY soon!" but no fixed dates other than "Monday and Tuesday
evenings all summer long."

Et tu?
--
Physical