[DC LoCo] Valve talks Steam client for Linux - SlashGear

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Wed May 2 16:47:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Brady Merriweather <
brady.merriweather at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the exploration of creating a Linux platform is more than just
> supporting a desktop platform, but a gateway test to eventually create
> mobile platforms since desktop sales are on the decline . They have already
> created a steam mobile application on android and iPhone. My guess is that
> porting there platforms to a Linux platform is to capture some if that
> market as people continue to head towards mobile.
>
> So yea, it's great they are making it now, but it's to keep the money
> rolling while they transition to platforms that support a Linux/unix based
> mobile devices.

There's also the Steam Box, Valve's game console which is supposed to use
Windows with a custom UI on top of it. They might have gotten flak from
Microsoft or want an operating system environment they can control and are
thus switching it to Linux. That's only a hypothesis on my part, but it
does sorta make sense. All that is known is that they are working on a
console that will play PC games.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
https://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/

"Those who are angry in their religion do not live it."
--Abraham-Hicks

Break some Windows, bring freedom to your PC. www.ubuntu.com