[DC LoCo] Valve talks Steam client for Linux - SlashGear

Brian Curtis briancurtis.wx at gmail.com
Wed May 2 13:49:54 UTC 2012

IIRC DirectX is still becoming less and less of a bother. As with all
things that are great they require a lot of attention. Valve going to
OpenGL will give it more than enough attention, and who knows, being open
source, it may be better than DirectX in the end.

>>> Okay<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#40>
>>> Good<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#60>
>>> Great<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#80>
>>> Awesome<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#100>
>>>  (6 votes)
>>>
>>> One of the most popular posts we've ever had on opensource.com was "Steam
>>> for Linux confirmed."<http://opensource.com/life/11/4/steam-linux-confirmed>Unfortunately it was last year's April Fool's Day joke. But check today's
>>> date--April Fool's is almost a month ago now, and this time you can
>>> actually see pictures.
>>>
>>> Phoronix's Michael Larabel has long stood that the Steam client *would*eventually be released for Linux, while many others considered it somewhere
>>> between a persistent rumor and a dream.
>>>
>>> Today Larabel writes effusively<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1>about a recent visit to Valve to see the Linux Steam client, Gabe Newell's
>>> enthusiasm for Linux, and how great Valve's work on Linux is. He notes that
>>> Newell recently moved his own desk into the Linux development area.
>>>
>>> He writes that while he can't be more specific about a date, we should
>>> have something in our hands by the end of the year:
>>>
>>> The initial release will likely be in the form of a "beta" so that they
>>> can release earlier and this initial public version may be limited to just
>>> Left 4 Dead 2, but their grand plans for Gabe/Valve's support on Linux are
>>> nothing short of greatness.
>>>
>>> Read more about Larabel's trip to Valve, the joy of "simply being able
>>> to execute a Source Engine game myself on an Ubuntu Linux installation and
>>> not seeing it pass through Wine or anything else," and see photos in his Phoronix
>>> post<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1>
>>> .
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.
>> --Wernher Von Braun
>> "The second law of thermodynamics: If you think things are in a mess now,
>> JUST WAIT!!"

> -Matthew Gallagher

--Wernher Von Braun
"The second law of thermodynamics: If you think things are in a mess now,
JUST WAIT!!"
The Statement Below is True
The Statement Above is False