[DC LoCo] Valve talks Steam client for Linux - SlashGear

Matthew Gallagher mattva01 at gmail.com
Wed May 2 13:40:32 UTC 2012

Unfortunately this is just copy, no new information has come out since the
initial Phoronix post. The fact that Valve hasn't denied it is probably a
good sign though.

Another good article about Valve come out recently:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-04-27/why-there-are-no-bosses-at-valve,
I especially like the pony reference at the end

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com> wrote:

> And the story appears to have legs.  Red Hat's OpenSource.com site has
> this to say (sans comments, which can be found at the source URL):
>
> Source:
> http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year
>  See the Steam client running on Linux; likely available by the end of
> the year
>  Posted 25 Apr 2012 by Ruth Suehle <http://opensource.com/users/suehle> (Red
> Hat)
>  [image: Steam]
> Image by opensource.com
>  [image: submit to reddit]<http://reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fopensource.com%2Flife%2F12%2F4%2Fsee-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year%3Fsc_cid%3D70160000000Sz2GAAS&title=See+the+Steam+client+running+on+Linux%3B+likely+available+by+the+end+of+the+year>
>   Average:
> Poor<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#20>
> Okay<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#40>
> Good<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#60>
> Great<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#80>
> Awesome<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#100>
>  (6 votes)
>
> One of the most popular posts we've ever had on opensource.com was "Steam
> for Linux confirmed."<http://opensource.com/life/11/4/steam-linux-confirmed>Unfortunately it was last year's April Fool's Day joke. But check today's
> date--April Fool's is almost a month ago now, and this time you can
> actually see pictures.
>
> Phoronix's Michael Larabel has long stood that the Steam client *would*eventually be released for Linux, while many others considered it somewhere
> between a persistent rumor and a dream.
>
> Today Larabel writes effusively<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1>about a recent visit to Valve to see the Linux Steam client, Gabe Newell's
> enthusiasm for Linux, and how great Valve's work on Linux is. He notes that
> Newell recently moved his own desk into the Linux development area.
>
> He writes that while he can't be more specific about a date, we should
> have something in our hands by the end of the year:
>
> The initial release will likely be in the form of a "beta" so that they
> can release earlier and this initial public version may be limited to just
> Left 4 Dead 2, but their grand plans for Gabe/Valve's support on Linux are
> nothing short of greatness.
>
> Read more about Larabel's trip to Valve, the joy of "simply being able to
> execute a Source Engine game myself on an Ubuntu Linux installation and not
> seeing it pass through Wine or anything else," and see photos in his Phoronix
> [...]

-Matthew Gallagher