[DC LoCo] Valve talks Steam client for Linux - SlashGear

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Wed May 2 12:56:17 UTC 2012

And the story appears to have legs.  Red Hat's OpenSource.com site has this
to say (sans comments, which can be found at the source URL):

Source:
http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year
See the Steam client running on Linux; likely available by the end of the
year
 Posted 25 Apr 2012 by Ruth Suehle <http://opensource.com/users/suehle> (Red
Hat)
 [image: Steam]
Image by opensource.com
 [image: submit to
reddit]<http://reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fopensource.com%2Flife%2F12%2F4%2Fsee-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year%3Fsc_cid%3D70160000000Sz2GAAS&title=See+the+Steam+client+running+on+Linux%3B+likely+available+by+the+end+of+the+year>
 Average:
Poor<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#20>
Okay<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#40>
Good<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#60>
Great<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#80>
Awesome<http://opensource.com/life/12/4/see-steam-client-running-linux-likely-available-end-year#100>
 (6 votes)

One of the most popular posts we've ever had on opensource.com was "Steam
for Linux confirmed."<http://opensource.com/life/11/4/steam-linux-confirmed>Unfortunately
it was last year's April Fool's Day joke. But check today's
date--April Fool's is almost a month ago now, and this time you can
actually see pictures.

Phoronix's Michael Larabel has long stood that the Steam client
*would*eventually be released for Linux, while many others considered
it somewhere
between a persistent rumor and a dream.

Today Larabel writes
effusively<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1>about
a recent visit to Valve to see the Linux Steam client, Gabe Newell's
enthusiasm for Linux, and how great Valve's work on Linux is. He notes that
Newell recently moved his own desk into the Linux development area.

He writes that while he can't be more specific about a date, we should have
something in our hands by the end of the year:

The initial release will likely be in the form of a "beta" so that they can
release earlier and this initial public version may be limited to just Left
4 Dead 2, but their grand plans for Gabe/Valve's support on Linux are
nothing short of greatness.

Read more about Larabel's trip to Valve, the joy of "simply being able to
execute a Source Engine game myself on an Ubuntu Linux installation and not
seeing it pass through Wine or anything else," and see photos in his Phoronix
post<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1>
.