[DC LoCo] to buy a computer without the Microsoft tax

Bahn, Nathan nathan.bahn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 17:38:16 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Greg Reagle <reagle at cepr.net> wrote:

> Howdy.  I really like the deals on outlet.dell.com and outlet.lenovo.com.
>  I especially like the 3 year warranty Dell gives even for refurbished
> computers; Lenovo seems to offer only one year of warranty.  However, I do
> not want to pay the Microsoft tax.  They all seem to come pre-installed
> with MS Windows.
>
> I already looked at http://laclinux.com/gnu/ThinkCentre which I found via
> the Free Software Foundation, (https://www.gnu.org/links/companies.html)
> but their prices are much higher than the outlets (of course).
>
> I am looking to buy a desktop, something like a Dell Optiplex or
> ThinkCentre M series; it will have Ubuntu (I don't care whether it is
> pre-installed).
>
> Any ideas to avoid the Microsoft tax without paying (an arm and a leg)
> *more*?
>
> --
> Greg Reagle
> System Administrator
> Center for Economic and Policy Research
> reagle at cepr.net
> http://www.cepr.net/

I only scanned the column, but
here<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/the-top-five-linux-desktop-vendors/9313>*
is a column from July -- you might/may find it helpful.
*
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/the-top-five-linux-desktop-vendors/9313
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html ,
http://www.libreoffice.org/ & http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument (Nathan