[DC LoCo] Trouble with Java App

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 20:33:57 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 14:47, N.C. Weber <ncweber00 at earthlink.net> wrote:

Okay, I just gotta vent. My company uses a video conferencing service
> called Scopia (kinda like Skype, but better).  The thing runs through the
> Web browser.  It runs on Windows (natch), Mac, iPad (with a native iOS
> app), and Android (also through the browser).  But it doesn't run on Linux.
>  Why?  The thing is coded in Java.  All the above operating systems have
> Java.  So, why is Linux the only one that it doesn't work in?  I smell
> discrimination here, plain and simple.

Speaking of Java troubles, a known problem with a known patch that I
couldn't get working (though I haven't put much effort into it):  Recent
releases of Java a la Linux (both Oracle nee Sun and OpenJDK) have issues
when it comes to using Juniper Network's VPN "solution", which I
unfortunately have to live with if I want to connect to Gallaudet from
off-campus.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-6/+bug/907682

(and duplicate
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/icedtea-web/+bug/909525)

I figured I need breaks from the office anyway, and eventually bug will be
fixed and the problem will go away or I'll retire and the problem will go
away. ;-)