[DC LoCo] apt-get vs. gui update manager

Keith Howell keith.c.howell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 12:54:45 UTC 2012

I notice that you say you did an 'update' and then a 'upgrade'. The key
thing is that 'update' just downloaded a bundle of new index files from
the repositories.

It is possible that the GUI was running off older index files and could
not tell that there was a new package available.

If you notice this again, you should try an 'apt update' and then run
the GUI again and see if the new packages show up.

You can also chack exactly which repositories are being used by looking
in the /etc/apt/sources.list on each of your machines. Some
distributions have their own custom repositories and could update them
on a different schedule than the main ubuntu ones. Also remember that
10.04 is a LTS release and because of that, I presume that they perform
additional testing on upstream sources before committing them to the
distribution just to make sure there are no problems.

--
Keith