[DC LoCo] Linux users cautiously optimistic about Ubuntu's Head-Up Display desktop | ZDNet

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 11:27:54 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Marti Martinson
<arthur.martinson at verizon.net> wrote:
> Another default UI change.
>
> I do not know if this has already been sent or discussed here,
> so I apologize --profusely!-- if it has.
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/linux-users-cautiously-optimistic-about-ubuntus-head-up-display-desktop/10226
>
> It is a benefit that Ubuntu is flexible enough to let someone
> CHANGE the WM or DE.....and that there are the Kubuntu,
> Xubuntu, and Lubuntu releases themselves.

As an addition to what is already a part of Unity the HUD may work
pretty well, but as a replacement for the menu panel not so much. Some
programs are very menu heavy (ie; The GIMP, LibreOffice, Audacity,
etc), thus it raises the learning curve for those programs
significantly. This will not appeal well to Canonical's target
audience...the average Windows user.

I can understand if Canonical is doing this reduce the risk of
possible Patent issues concerning the UI, but this is going a little
too far and exemplifies perfectly why Software Patents should be
abolished.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
https://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/

IP Protectionism is OUT OF CONTROL, call your Congressman now and tell
them its not their job to save the failing business model of a movie
and music industry that refuses to adapt to an evolving market.

Break some Windows, bring freedom to your PC. www.ubuntu.com