[DC LoCo] PCWorld blog post - municipal fiber broadband in Chattanooga

Phil Shapiro pshapiro at his.com
Thu Jan 5 16:42:20 UTC 2012

Hi ubuntistas,

For those who might be interested, here's a new blog post I wrote about Chattanooga's municipal fiber broadband.

http://tinyurl.com/6t9mv7g

I recall hearing last week that Verizon will no longer be expanding their FIOS network, so patient DC residents and
businesses will never see Verizon FIOS. Municipal broadband -- with or without fixed wireless --
might be the only way to escape the clenches of monopoly telcos in DC.

A good question to be asking ourselves is: If Chattanooga can set up municipal broadband service, what's stopping DC from doing it?

Phil

In my follow-up blog posts about Chattanooga I'm hoping to cover some of the FOSS community initiatives in that town. There's some real interesting messages being posted to the Chugalug email list. http://www.chugalug.org/

Phil Shapiro, pshapiro at his.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html
http://www.twitter.com/philshapiro
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/stories.menu.html