[DC LoCo] Free Saturday? Got laptops to demo?

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 16:01:40 UTC 2012

Hi,

DISCOvering TECHnology (Disco Tech) II is coming up this Saturday at
Thurgood Marshall Academy, across the street from the Anacostia Metro
station.  The first one at Bread for the City during November's DC WEEK,
was fantastic, with a mix of DC government people talking about expanding
the reach of broadband, Uplift, Inc. doing robotics demos, a wee bit o'
Linux demo'ing, "getting connected" help for folks who'd never had an
e-mail address or used the web, etc.

This one promises to draw more of a high school student (and parents of
high school student) crowd, as it's been heavily promoted from within
Thurgood Marshall Academy.  Added to the mix for Disco Tech II is a "media
lab" where people will be learning about audio / video mixing, uploading
photography, and some non-computer arts & crafts as well.

As I understand from the guy who runs the computer lab there, Thurgood has
no programming classes.   Paraphrasing, he said that there were only two
courses offered a basic "Intro to Word, Excel, PowerPoint" and a "Social
Justice / Journalism a la Social Media".

However, he's aware of and "open" to open source.  He just doesn't have the
authority to go sticking things onto the computers there, and a wee bit o'
concern was expressed about Live CDs.  (I *THINK* we'll be setting up a few
machines with Live CDs anyway, with official approval.)

As a result of last night's meeting, I was encouraged to "put a call out"
to see if folks wanted to drop by and show off their laptops doing the
Linux "thang".  (I'll be there with mine.)

Details on the event can be found at:

http://www.broadbandbridge.org/

Scenes and reports from the first one at:

http://www.breadforthecity.org/2011/11/discotech-i-didnt-know-there-was-so-much-learn/