[DC LoCo] Houston is there a problem? Fwd: 12.04 LTS

jerry w jerrywone at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 22:16:03 UTC 2012

Install didn't seem to work a third time
I video taped most of the copy
very boring 20+ mins
screen flickers during informational pane transitions
in the copy time,
wondering if there is something incompatible
with 12.04 and the hardware...
didn't notice any of these issues before trying 12.04
LTS today...

I tried getting the -dvd.iso
thinking it would be a different use of the drive
and surfaces, so might work, a DVD media is cheap,
but it was wanting hours of download time and very
slow, maybe bittorrent later...

Given the list's feedback on CDR burning and drive,
I sacrificed a new Class 4
16Gig MicroSD card
and tried copying the iso to it, somewhat successfully
and several other things
Create Startup Disk
put it on the MicroSD
and I was able to boot from the MicroSD
to try installing

from that MicroSD try install to USB3 external Seagate
drive, succeeded / completed the install
But
boots to grub rescue
can't find partition or similar

I'm finally starting to see under EeePC BIOS
boot devices/ boot priority
Seagate in USB removeable drive, but it's never booted from any USB3
even though they supposedly have USB2
compatability

grub rescue isn't smart only ls
give partition name, numbers,
not enough to get anything like
what I would need to manually
try a boot, I like grub's menu.lst
better...

I tried getting it to boot,
with Boot Disk Repair CD
gave
 http://paste.ubuntu.com/950877/
output

nothing has booted from USB3 external
drives

I do have 700 MB on a sda drive
when I downloaded an ubuntu version with wget
but Windows file name and type problems
removing it
filename:
start-download?distro=desktop
in an
ubuntu.com directory
nothing even cygwin allowing me to get rid of it...

so all sorts of issues,
as usual,
but no 12.04 joy
yet

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Greg Reagle <reagle at cepr.net> wrote:
> On 04/27/2012 01:45 PM, Matthew Gallagher wrote:
>> One other thing you may want to do is burn the disk at the slowest
>> possible speed.
>
> I agree with the above recommendation.  I also agree with the sentiment that burning CDs and reading CDs can be problematic.  Like Mackenzie, I've experienced a lot of defective optical drives and discs.  If you can avoid burning optical discs then do so.  Alternatives are solid state memory (e.g. flash memory) and magnetic media (e.g. external hard drive).
>
> Whatever type of medium you are using, always
> - check the sum after a download before burning/writing
> - verify the medium (this is an option on the Ubuntu boot menu) before installing
>
>> Debian/Ubuntu isos in particular seem to need to be burned at a slow
>> speed, especially on laptop burners.

>>> Have you considered cleaning the read head on the optical drive or the
>>> possibility that the optical drive has gone to hell in the last 6
>>> months?
>>>
>>> (Seriously, one of my laptops went through TWO optical drives in 3
>>> years. I just stopped replacing the darn thing. It's still busted. I
>>> have USB sticks, and my other laptop can still rip CDs, so I stopped
>>> caring.)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mackenzie Morgan
>>>
>>> --