[DC LoCo] Windows 8 Spells Trouble for Linux, Hackintosh Users and Malware Victims

flint at flint.com flint at flint.com
Mon Sep 26 12:16:25 UTC 2011

Dear Kevin,

While the news below is most ominous...

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Kevin Cole wrote:

> Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 08:39:56 -0400
> From: Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com>
> To: Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team <ubuntu-us-dc at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: [DC LoCo] Windows 8 Spells Trouble for Linux,
>     Hackintosh Users and Malware Victims
>
> http://m.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2011/09/windows-8-spells-trouble-for-l.php

Thankfully, anyone who has seen the developers release of Windows 8 will
agree that the departure from previous windows desktop conventions
actually made it necessary to have a "crutch" back to the Windows 7
desktio.

Amazingly enough Windows 8 in its current configuration makes Ubuntu Unity
look like the greatest thing since sliced bread...

I am personally considering throwing it all overboard, and if forced to do
what the brilliant "Dave The Geek" (Barre's own DTG) recommends, which is
to use Windows 8 running KDE as the default desktop on everything I use
(http://windows.kde.org/).

But that is par for the course on a foggy looking Monday.  It is just this
kid of trivia that we agonize over here at the Barre Open Source
Institute, our Monday Adult Swim activity is known throughout most of
Washington County as the place where the geek elite meet (OK, most of
Northwest Washington County...would you believe Center City Barre?) to
debate demonstrate and discuss the insanity that is Monopoly operating
system development.

Besides that, come and do open source stuff. For more information about
the BOSI Adult Swim meeting time and location try this:

http://www.flint.com/adult_swim_location/index_html

Come on down to the Hedding United Methodist Church Basement if you have
questions or are interested in Linux or the concept of free and open
systems, The basement of the Hedding UMC facility is actually working out
pretty well - especially on warmer days...

If you wish to be included on the "Linux_adult_swim" mailing list, send a
response to this note

Kindest Regards,

Paul Flint
(802) 479-2360

/************************************
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.

Paul Flint
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT
05641

http://www.bosivt.org
http://www.flint.com/home
skype: flintinfotech
Work: (202) 537-0480

Consilium                                       _
gratuitum        .~.     ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
valet            /V\      against HTML e-mail   X
quanti          /( )\     www.asciiribbon.org  / \
numerantur      ^^-^^