[DC LoCo] Windows 8 Spells Trouble for Linux, Hackintosh Users and Malware Victims

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 19:44:02 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Robert Simmons <rsimmons0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The other article seems to me to point to the ability to disable
> secure boot and continue with your day:
> "For the enthusiast who wants to run older operating systems, the
> option is there to allow you to make that decision."
> and
> "In the screenshot below you will notice that we designed the firmware
> to allow the customer to disable secure boot. However, doing so comes
> at your own risk."

They are NOT requiring that the user have any ability whatsoever to
turn it off. That means no installing Linux, no installing a new
graphics card, etc. for those who buy from any manufacturer who
chooses not to provide the option.  And yes, manufacturers are already
saying that they won't give the option to turn it off.

Here's Matthew Garrett's post I was referring to:
http://mjg59.livejournal.com/138973.html
And here's where he points out that their "dispelling" is actually
just agreement:
http://mjg59.livejournal.com/139232.html

--
Maco