[DC LoCo] Linux, multiple cpus and memory use

Robert Simmons rsimmons0 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 17:36:26 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Luke Faraone <luke at faraone.cc> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:35, Dan Barry <mr.danbarry at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2. I would like to do some network training with VM partitions to seperate
>> server and client and wondered what configurations VM prefers?
>>     Does this vary when I try to VM with an XP partition.
>
> I don't understand the question. You can have VMs of XP, Linux, whatever,
> running on a Linux host.

My 2 cents: I've had success using VirtualBox to run quite a number of
VMs at the same time on my machine (6 core AMD processor with 16G of
memory, 60G SSD).  A couple of hints I can give you are:
1) install virtualbox from the PPA that virtualbox.org maintains for
natty.  The version that is part of Ubuntu is too many versions
behind. (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads).
2) If the OS that you are installing has its own version of the guest
additions package, I've found that they usually work better than the
guest additions package that is bundled with VirtualBox.  To this end,
most distros have extensive howtos and other docs on getting their OS
to run well in VirtualBox.