[DC LoCo] Linux, multiple cpus and memory use

Dan Barry mr.danbarry at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 15:35:26 UTC 2011

The computers I use presently are netbooks using a celeron and 2nd
generation atom. Both are hardware limited to 2 gigs of memory and use 8 gig
SD and 160 gig HD respectively.  The atom ,a Samsung, boots between linux(
linux Mint and ubuntu original) and XP ( so I can run the Zune software for
my windows phone), and too other defunk partitions I have not wiped out.
     My dual processor system was set up in Germany and used a cheap 230-40
power supply so I left it there. Its time to build another desktop.

1. Does the linux kernel use memory as a pool for the processors it finds in
hardware?
    Or does it seperate the memory allowing some just some for each
processor?

2. I would like to do some network training with VM partitions to seperate
server and client and wondered what configurations VM prefers?
    Does this vary when I try to VM with an XP partition.

3. Is there a Linux build particularly adapted to multiple processors?
-- thanks
Dan Barry