[DC LoCo] /. News: Apple's Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) Now Open Source

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 14:42:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Eric Maag <eric.maag at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this even really relevant to codecs these days, I thought mp3 was
> the end all be all for compressed audio, someone pls enlighten me. Or
> this more a nod toward the iOS opening? Seems like the stance is since
> no one's really using it might as well open it up...

MP3 is lossy. This is lossless, similar to WAV & FLAC. They serve two
different purposes. You might archive a CD or vinyl in ALAC, WAV, or
FLAC, because those would be archival quality copies of the
recordings, but then for your limited-storage-space smartphone, put
MP3 or Ogg Vorbis versions to save space.

--
Mackenzie Morgan