[DC LoCo] Ubuntu LTS: what is difference between support for server and desktop?

Greg Reagle reagle at cepr.net
Fri Oct 21 20:04:39 UTC 2011

On 10/21/2011 02:54 PM, Greg Reagle wrote:
> Hello all. I have a computer running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. According to
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29,
> it is supported until 2011-05-12 for desktop and until 2013-04 for
> server.
>
> What exactly do "server" and "desktop" mean in this context? I want
> to know how long security updates will be available for it. Is it a
> server or a desktop, yuo ask. Good question. I use it as sort of a
> hybrid of both functions. Does the operating system itself have some
> sort of distinct identity as a server or desktop?
>
> Thanks.

Thanks Dan, Mackenzie, and Kevin for your responses.

I am going to try to summarize, and invite further feedback.

So, it's really not about: is my computer supported? or is my operating system supported?  It is about: which packages are supported?  For example, I can expect that sshd will continue to get attention and security updates because it is considered a server package, but I cannot expect the same for Thunderbird.

Is that correct?

Regarding, the kernel, it ends with -generic.  I suppose that I should replace the current kernel package "linux-image-generic" with "linux-image-server", in order to receive updates for the kernel.  Is that correct?

Thanks!

--
Greg Reagle
System Administrator