[DC LoCo] Ubuntu LTS: what is difference between support for server and desktop?

Dan Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 18:59:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 14:54, Greg Reagle <reagle at cepr.net> wrote:
> Hello all.  I have a computer running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.  According to
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29,
> it is supported until 2011-05-12 for desktop and until 2013-04 for server.
>
> What exactly do "server" and "desktop" mean in this context?  I want to know
> how long security updates will be available for it.  Is it a server or a
> desktop, yuo ask.  Good question.  I use it as sort of a hybrid of both
> functions.  Does the operating system itself have some sort of distinct
> identity as a server or desktop?

There is no simple answer, but the rule of thumb that I use is: which
kernel (uname -r) are you running? If it's -generic, treat it as a
desktop. If it's -server, treat it as a server.

Of course now that I've said as much, be aware that for 12.04 LTS the
kernel team is collapsing the desktop and server kernels into one
flavor. You've begun to see ramifications, like 12.04 LTS will be
supported for five years on both desktops and servers.

Metta,
-Dan