[DC LoCo] Grub's in the way

Aaron M. Ucko ucko at debian.org
Thu Oct 20 22:22:40 UTC 2011

Dan Barry <mr.danbarry at gmail.com> writes:

> Grub, in this case, choosing between PClinuxOS, PClinuxOSRecovery or Windows
> XP  seems to over riding a boot from  optical media. I need him to get out
> of the way so I can overwrite with one of the 'Untu  family. Should I blow
> him away or can I just add an option to boot from the optical media?

If your system doesn't want to boot directly from optical media, that
ultimately comes down to your BIOS and its settings, which I'd recommend
checking.  That said, GRUB should be able to chain into a CD-ROM.
http://www.lrz.de/~bernhard/grub-chain-cd.html indicates how you can do
so with legacy GRUB (0.9x); I see no analogous instructions for GRUB 2,
but it looks like it should work to load the biosdisk and iso9660
modules and then boot the CD's kernel and initial RAM disk.

http://www.mit.edu/~amu/ | http://stuff.mit.edu/cgi/finger/?amu@monk.mit.edu