[DC LoCo] thoughts on recovering from power off during distro upgrade?

Frank J. Gómez frank at crop-circle.net
Wed Oct 19 17:15:27 UTC 2011

Thanks for the advice.  I booted up the machine this morning and it wouldn't
get all the way to the desktop environment, but I was able to switch to
another console and log into the CLI.

Once there I ran sudo dpkg --configure -a, responded to a few prompts, and
watched the packages do their thing.  Afterwards, I ran do-release-upgrade for
good measure.  It told me it had nothing to do.

I followed that up with a reboot, and it seems the boot gets stuck in the
same place as before I ran the above-mentioned commands.  The last line on
my screen is:

* Starting TiMidity++ ALSA midi emulation... [OK]

(Ah yes, I did install UbuntuStudio at some point, didn't I...)

After that it just hangs.  I can still switch to another console, but a
normal boot would be nice.  I'm not sure what the problem is, or which log
to check for hints (syslog, maybe?).  Do y'all think this is salvageable, or
should I just restore my pre-upgrade images and try again?

Thanks so much!
-Frank