[DC LoCo] OT: Tim O'Reilly and others say call your congress-thing and tell them to oppose SOPA / E-PARASITE / PROTECT IP bills

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 18:07:55 UTC 2011

Yes, I've heard that *form letters* are bad... but that's true in any
medium, including the piles of form letter faxes some of them get (who
uses faxes???). If you actually use your congressperson's contact form
on their website to type in what you think, though, that's not a form
letter so gets the same weight as any other letter without pissing off
the people having to skim it to decide what pile it goes in.

Also, physical letters take days to arrive (and I kind of doubt the
sorting is same-day), whereas you can email ya know...now, right in
the middle of the hearing, and have it actually get there.

I like PopVox.com for telling congresscritters what I think of bills.
It was started by a former staffer partnering up with a former
lobbyist to let people send either simple "I support HR1234"/"I oppose
HR1234" or longer user-written emails to their congresspeople and then
the same one automatically to senators as well if it moves from HR to
S (or vice versa if other direction) and publicly tally the opinions
for nation, state, and district with maps and graphs.  Good for
transparency (can see when the congresscritters vote against popular
opinion), and easier for the hill-people to sort.  For the
congresscritters whose website contact forms are just plain broken,
they show up with Santa-Claus-like bags of letters to drop on
someone's desk.

Here's SOPA: https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/hr3261/report#nation

Mackenzie Morgan