[DC LoCo] OT: Tim O'Reilly and others say call your congress-thing and tell them to oppose SOPA / E-PARASITE / PROTECT IP bills

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 17:15:09 UTC 2011

Sending physical mail instead of emails just makes their staff hate
you because then they have to go sort it, tally it, put it in the
computer, etc. by hand instead of... clicking and dragging from the
mail client to the "oppose" pile.

That junk teachers told you in middle school about physical letters
being better than email for constituent communications? Multiple hill
staffers and former-staffers have told me it's junk and makes their
lives harder. They want email.

(Though if your teacher said an online petition is ineffective,
they're probably right, because those tend not to include addresses,
which are necessary for determining whether you're actually a
constituent...or ya know...exist at all...so they tend to be highly
suspect for fraud reasons. But using your congresscritter's contact
form that requires your address? Go for it!)

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Jeremy C. <jeremyc4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or better yet ... send them a Post Card for free
>http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/15/speak-out-against-sopa-send-congress-a-physical-letter-in-just-a-few-clicks/
> Video Explaining the Legislation
> http://vimeo.com/31100268
>

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> According to a recent Google+ post from Tim O'Reilly
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/107033731246200681024/posts/Vr1spDFt8Aj
>>
>> > "This is really important. They aren't even hearing testimony from
>> > opponents
>> > of the bill. The 'hearings' are a sham, with testimony from supporters
>> > only."
>>
>> IMHO, regardless of one's opinion of the legislation, there should at
>> least be a better pretense of a hearing.
>>
>> See the above link for more info / opinion.
>>
>> --

Mackenzie Morgan