[DC LoCo] Software Freedom Day / Takoma Park Folk Festival... Thinking ahead.

Robert Simmons rsimmons0 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 03:06:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Nicholas Wheeler <dragoncow2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Brian Curtis <briancurtis.wx at gmail.com> wrote:
>> most computers boot from CD nowadays, plus windows will load the autorun on
>> the CD which will let them boot from the CD.
>>
>> win-win
>
> most computers boot from USB nowadays, plus the linux kernel will
> autorun off the USB when it boots!
>
> win-win
>
> ...but seriously, we should promote people to bring their USB sticks
> for great, free software to be put on a reusable medium. People are
> curious, and have USB sticks...the question is, where do you promote a
> thing like that?

Are USB sticks more reusable in the long term (which is where it
matters)?  I could be wrong, but I thought that CD material is
entirely recyclable and that most electronics including USB sticks are
about 98-99% recyclable.  The process for recycling CDs is also fairly
simple: first demetalize to reclaim metal, then melt the plastic into
pellets that are sold as low grade plastic (car door handles, and
paint buckets etc.).