[DC LoCo] installing linux on a pentium 1 toshiba laptop

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:22:54 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 15:06, Phil Shapiro <pshapiro at his.com> wrote:

>  Just curious, has anyone had success installing Lubuntu on a Pentium 1
> computer? Do you think I'd be better off installing Puppy Linux or Damn
> Small Linux instead?

Haven't tried but my guess is that Lubuntu's not quite light enough
for a Pentium I.  And 98 MB RAM?  Aside from being an odd number that
coincidentally matches part of the current OS name (typo?) that's
going to be VERY tight, methinks.  Particularly if you're hoping for
anything approximating responsive graphics in a "game" a la TuxType.

I recall mention of a bash-only "TuxType"-like creature, that, while
not as pretty as TuxType, would drop words from your 80x24 character
bash console "sky" and have you type them before they reached the
bottom.  Something like that might be an adequate substitute for
TuxType in a pinch.  As for word-processing, perhaps a console-based
WYASIWYG editor, where the "A" is "Almost" that uses HTML as its
native / default save format would also be a lightweight solution
there.

(I know for example that vim, emacs and nano are capable of syntax
highlighting, but I'm imagining there's something that might go a step
beyond that and hide the actual tags while doing the highlighting. In
ancient times, I used an editor NoteBene which was GREAT for that sort
of thing, and ran in a DOS window.)
--
Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo
Washington, DC