[DC LoCo] Help, have I bricked my netbook? (@#^&!* GRUB)

Eric Maag eric.maag at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 00:58:10 UTC 2011

Collected wisdom,

Please help me you're my only hope! So I own a Acer Aspire One D250
netbook, and I had Ubuntu installed onto my Windows partition via
wubi, I was just testing it out and installing it on it's own
partition was the next step. Before I had a chance to do that the
Windows XP caught a nasty virus and went fubar. I was able to recover
everything I needed under Linux and Windows, so I went ahead and chose
the Windows Restore Option available from GRUB, it said it formatted
the C: drive (where Windows and Ubuntu(wubi) resided and reinstalled
Windows, when I rebooted it I received the following error message:

error: no such partition.
grub rescue>

from looking around the web I was able to get:

ls which yields:
(hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1)

now from what I was able to gather I need to fix GRUB one suggestion
is to use a repair disk, but when I try to enter BIOS to change the
boot order, it's asking me for a password now (!!!) where the wasn't
one before.

Can anyone please help me out with some next steps, solutions for this please!

Thanks,
Eric M