[DC LoCo] "Less is more" laptops initiative

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 01:24:20 UTC 2011

How about this, talk to the school about starting a privately funded
After School Program that teaches students about open source software
and programming.  If it become success a non-profit organization could
be formed around the project.  Its just an idea.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Phil Shapiro <pshapiro at his.com> wrote:

> Robert, that's practical advice and I agree that's a good way to go.
>
>           phil
>

>> On a side note, and I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but I don't
>> think
>> just giving a kid a laptop with dual boot is worth the time.  Even if it
>> has
>> all the installed software you can think of and all the instructions and
>> videos you can possibly make easily accessible on there.  The kid will
>> maybe
>> boot the computer into linux once or twice then go back to windows.
>>
>> It is a complete waste of resources to just give it to them.  The only way
>> it
>> will get used is if there is a reason to use it, i.e. a computer club, a
>> class, a mentor, or some other type of activity.  OR it is targeted toward
>> kid who you know is a budding hacker type, but is too poor to have her own
>> computer.
>>
>> So, I would suggest one of two paths: start an activity and have the
>> computer/s as part of that, or get in contact with the computer teachers
>> in
>> the public schools and figure out who needs it.  If you go with the second
>> path, don't be offended if the kid blows away what you install and puts
>> Slackware, OpenBSD, Gentoo, Debian, NetBSD or whatever on it ;)
>>
>> --

> Phil Shapiro  pshapiro at his.com
> http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html
> http://www.twitter.com/philshapiro
> http://www.his.com/pshapiro/stories.menu.html
>
> "Wisdom begins with wonder." - Socrates
> "Learning happens thru gentleness."

Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking
of morality by religion." ~ Arthur C. Clarke
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and
politics, but it is not the path to knowledge, and there is no place
for it in the endeavor of science. " ~ Carl Sagan

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts