[DC LoCo] New member

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Sun Jun 12 03:26:12 UTC 2011

On 06/11/2011 05:17 PM, Daniel Chen wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2011 2:10 PM, "Mackenzie Morgan" <macoafi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I went to GWU.  There's a Development of Open Source class there, and
>> professors expect everything to work with unix/linux ("my code worked
>> on windows" doesn't count).
>
> Further, all the universities in the metro area with CS degrees encourage
> learning and using Linux (albeit some prefer on your own time).

I'm off to GMU as a freshman next year, and from what I've seen their IT
staff does not officially *wink* support Linux. But there's
documentation on how to use it with their systems[1].

The intro classes explicitly establish that they will have students
"gain some familiarity with Unix (Linux)", and have Linux labs.

The University has some FOSS projects, most notably Zotero[2], which it
has defended[3] against IP lawsuits. (and won)

[1]: https://access.vse.gmu.edu/vpn/linux/
[2]: http://zotero.com
[3]:
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/08/09/27/2113248/Thomson-Reuters-Sues-Over-Open-Source-Endnote-Alike-Zotero

--
Luke Faraone;; Debian & Ubuntu Developer; Sugar Labs, Systems
lfaraone on irc.[freenode,oftc].net -- http://luke.faraone.cc