[DC LoCo] Evolution Killed My GNOME

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 18:15:42 UTC 2011

> I don't even know what ubuntu-desktop does.

It makes sure a whole boatload of other packages get installed and
stay installed.  That's its sole function in life.  It's one of
several "meta-packages" designed to save you the work of going and
individually fetching packages that are commonly bundled together.
That said, some of the choices for which packages get included are a
bit curious -- to me at least.  But I'm usually running on a system
that I can afford the extra fluff of applications I'll never use.  vim
for example. ;-)

"Using vi is not a sin. It's a penance." -- St. IGNUcious, Church of Emacs