[DC LoCo] Evolution Killed My GNOME

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Tue Jun 7 15:26:24 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, June 7, 2011, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:36 AM, N.C. Weber <ncweber00 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> I was thinking about saving space on my system, so I've been removing apps
>> the I never use.  One application I decided to kill was Evolution.  I never
>> use it.  In fact, I hate the thing.  So, I went in to uninstall it.  Lo and
>> behold, uninstalling Evolution also kills Gnome-applets, Gnome-panel, and
>> Gnome-control-center.
>
> Not if you leave in evolution-data-server but remove the graphical app

Right. Whenever you remove packages, it is very important to look at
the list to make sure nothing else is being removed that you want.

>> Oh, and out of curiosity, I quick logged into Ubuntu Classic and there's
>> nothing there. No panels, no menus, no indicators. Nothing but wallpaper and
>> a poor, lonely mouse pointer. Even Alt+F2 doesn't work. Had to shut down by
>> pressing the power button. Freaky.
>
> Of course alt+f2 doesn't work if you don't have a panel. It's part of
> gnome-panel.

Alternatively, you can hit Alt-SysReq-K, which kills the current X11
session and anything else on your VT.

--
Luke Faraone;; Debian & Ubuntu Developer; Sugar Labs, Systems
lfaraone on irc.[freenode,oftc].net -- http://luke.faraone.cc