[DC LoCo] Double Double MOTD bug

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 18:41:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Ken Stailey <kstailey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Did I tell you to test on a non-standard version or did I tell you to install an ISO of LTS in a VM?

Let's clear some facts before this escalates further. Firstly, I'm not
defending anyone's actions. Secondly, I'm interesting in
hearing/reading how others feel the StableReleaseUpdates process can
be improved (immediately after the "upload to -proposed" step).
Thirdly, you seem to be implying that I'm not using a 10.04 LTS ISO in
a VM - in which you'd be correct. I'm in fact using a 10.04 LTS ISO on
bare metal, and per local policy I modify certain parameters that have
nothing to do with the bug, so my modifications are irrelevant. We
have a farm that does further modifications to such newly brought-up
machines.

Now, I can't reproduce the issue here, but that certainly doesn't
imply the issue doesn't exist. It simply means that there /exists/ a
path in which the symptoms won't be exhibited. My implication all
along has been that there has been a breakdown or missing set of cases
in the test suite, not a complete lack of testing.

Again, I'm not saying that anyone is wrong or hasn't been negligent. I
/am/ saying that it's more useful to recognize the issue, design some
enhancements, and test them - all instead of beating the dead horse of
"gosh you fscked up."