[DC LoCo] Kernel Panic!

Frank J. Gómez frank at crop-circle.net
Tue Feb 1 22:27:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Keith Howell <keith.c.howell at gmail.com>wrote:

> There used to be problems with the ACPI stuff that caused me no end of
> grief on some older hardware.

But as Kevin says, if it will not boot off a CD, it is looking poor.

There are various advanced kernel options that can be selected from the

grub menu to try to bypass some of the hardware handling and get the

system to boot.

For thoroughness, I went all the way back a 9.04 AMD64 Live CD (the oldest
one I have laying around), and still I couldn't boot off of that.  Not sure
the exact age of the machine but I don't think it's older than 5 years.
 Also, I'm the person who installed the OS on this machine, and I don't
recall any trouble with ACPI or anything else, so I think the issue here is
more likely hardware death than kernel options... unless you're suggesting
kernel options to sidestep hardware death, in which case you're blowing my
mind.

As with any problem solving, sometimes it comes down to iterating
> through the possibilities until we find the problem.
>
> Do you have spare hardware? If not, let me know off list and I can try
> to help out with more than suggestions on the list.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suitable spare hardware.  This machine is
using two array controllers -- one onboard and one that I added -- and I
don't have a replacement for the onboard controller.  I am really regretting
using the onboard chip right now.